PompeiiinPictures

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. Bakery and House of P. Aemilius Gallicus?

Linked to VIII.6.9, VIII.6.10 and VIII.6.11. Excavated 1819, 1881.

 

VIII.6.1, 8, 9, 10 and 11 combined plans

 

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. December 2004. Entrance corridor, looking north.  On entering the entrance corridor immediately from the roadway, this lead to the bakery, where the sub-structures for the four mills can be seen with flooring around them for the mules The walls were painted simply in the last style, with red and yellow compartments. See BdI, 1884, p.137, where the entrance is described as N. [7-9]

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. December 2004. Entrance corridor, looking north. 

On entering the entrance corridor immediately from the roadway, this leads to the bakery, where the sub-structures for the four mills can be seen with flooring around them for the mules

The walls were painted simply in the last style, with red and yellow compartments.

See BdI, 1884, p.137, where the entrance is described as N. [7-9]

 

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. September 2005. Entrance corridor, looking south from inside, towards Vicolo della Regina, and doorway opposite of VIII.2.29.

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. September 2005.

Entrance corridor, looking south from inside, towards Vicolo della Regina, and doorway opposite of VIII.2.29.

 

According to NdS,

“Dell' isola situata a mezzo giorno della 5, e che per la ragione esposta di sopra sarà da ora innanzi 6, è tornata a luce un'abitazione, avente l'ingresso sul vicolo meridionale, e il cui atrio fu adibito come pistrinum. Per l'androne, fiancheggiato da un cubicolo a sinistra e dal panificium a destra, si entra nell'area delle macine, che ha sul lato est il forno ed una località piuttosto angusta, contenente due catilli, sormontati ciascuno da una vasca di terracotta rivestita internamento di piombo.  Sull'orlo di ambedue queste vasche, rinvenute frammentate il 28 febbraio, si legge il bollo: (vedi p.196, Bull. Inst, 1878, e p.281, NdS, 1882).

 

Sul lato ovest è un'altra rozza località, comunicante con la cucina, alla quale si entra anche dall'area delle macine. In fondo trovasi il tablino; che avendo un ingresso angusto, e comunicando a destra con un'ampia stanza, serviva di passaggio al peristilio, giacché la fauce venne murata dalla parte dell' atrio e adibita per apotheca. Il peristilio, riserbato all'abitazione del padrone, ha nel mezzo il viridario, cinto da portico, che poggiava sopra sei colonne rivestite di stucco ed incastrate in un podio di fabbrica. Nel centro dell'area destinata ai fiori, è una riquadratura di marmi colorati con cornice di marmo bianco, e presso la colonna angolare nord-ovest sta un puteal di travertino. Sotto al portico orientale si trovano un'apotheca e uno spazioso triclinio; nell'ambulacro sud dopo la fauce, che come si è detto fu murata nel fondo, hanno l'ingresso due cubicoli: sul lato ovest è una seconda entrata dal vicolo occidentale, e finalmente a settentrione sono situate, in un livello alquanto superiore quattro stanze, di cui l'ultima ha il pavimento sprofondato.

 

Su questo stesso lato è l'adito di una gradinata, per cui si discende a parecchie celle sottoposte, alle quali si accede anche per due ingressi nel vicolo nord. In una di tali celle si rinvennero il 17 marzo, presso uno scheletro di donna, vari oggetti d'oro. Dallo scavo dell'abitazione ora descritta, venne fuori l'8 febbraio un pezzo rettangolare di piombo, portante la marca:

P • AEMILI • GALLICI • “

 

(translation: “Of the insula situated to the south of 5, which will now be called 6, a dwelling has come to light which had its entrance doorway on the southern vicolo, and whose atrium had been adapted as a “pistrinum”. Entering by the entrance corridor, flanked by a bedroom on the left, and the “bakery” to the right, one enters into the area of the Millstones with the oven on the east side, and a narrow area containing two “catilli” (upper millstones), each topped by a terracotta tub/tank coated inside with lead. On the edge of both of these tanks, which were found in fragments on the 28th February, one could read a mark: (see p.196, Bull.Inst, 1878, and p.281, NdS, 1882).

 

On the west side is another coarse locality, communicating with the kitchen, with which one could also enter from the area of the millstones. At the rear was the tablinum, which had a narrow doorway and was linked on the right with a wide room, it had served as a passageway to the peristyle, as the fauces (corridor) was blocked off from part of the atrium and used as a storeroom. The peristyle, reserved for the owner’s dwelling, had a garden in the centre surrounded by a portico with six columns coated with stucco and embedded into a masonry podium. In the centre of the area used for flowers, was a squaring of coloured marble with a white marble frame, and towards the north-west corner column was a travertine puteal. Under the east portico was a storeroom and a spacious triclinium: in the south walkway after the fauces, which as we have already said was blocked at the rear, were the doorways to two bedrooms: on the west side was a second entrance from the western vicolo, and finally to the north are located four rooms, on a slightly higher level, of which the last had a collapsed floor.

 

On this side are the steps of a staircase by which one descended to several small rooms below, to which one could also gain access by two entrances in the northern vicolo. Found, in one of these rooms on the 17th March, near the skeleton of a woman, were various objects in gold. Found on the 8th February, from the excavation of this dwelling, was a rectangular piece of lead carrying the mark : P. AEMILI GALLICI”. )

 

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1882, p.399.

 

VIII.6.1.8.9.10.11 combined plans