PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




VII.10.3 Pompeii. Casa della Caccia nuova. House of Florillus?

Linked to VII.10.14 in the past but doorway now blocked.

Excavated 1821 and 1863. (Vico d’Eumachia 9).

Part 1                                                                        Part 2

 

Plan (opens in a separate window)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Entrance doorway, with roughly hewn white travertine threshold. The socket for the housing of the hinges and for the fixing of the battens for the closure of the double doors could be seen. 
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.53)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Entrance doorway, with roughly hewn white travertine threshold.

The socket for the housing of the hinges and for the fixing of the battens for the closure of the double doors could be seen.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.53)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Looking east from entrance, through entrance fauces or corridor, 1. The doorway to the cella ostiaria (room 2) opened in the south-west (on the right). The entrance corridor was found with a floor of simple cocciopesto. The walls were covered with white plaster.

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.

Looking east from entrance, through entrance fauces or corridor, 1.

The doorway to the cella ostiaria (room 2) opened in the south-west (on the right).

The entrance corridor was found with a floor of simple cocciopesto.

The walls were covered with white plaster.

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 2, the cella ostiaria on south side of entrance, with a doorway (now blocked) which gave direct access to Vicolo di Eumachia. The floor, originally, would have been formed of cocciopesto. (p.54).  The threshold of the doorway was composed of three slabs, grey marble, white marble and travertine. (p.73)
 Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso.

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.

Room 2, the cella ostiaria on south side of entrance, with a doorway (now blocked) which gave direct access to Vicolo di Eumachia.

The floor, originally, would have been formed of cocciopesto. (p.54)

The threshold of the doorway was composed of three slabs, grey marble, white marble and travertine. (p.73)

 Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso.

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Atrium 3, with remains of impluvium and mosaic floor.
According to Amoroso, the impluvium was not in line with the entrance doorway. (p.44)
Originally the floor would have been in cocciopesto, but when the house was redecorated the atrium was given a new mosaic floor. The floor was composed of white tesserae with a border of two strips of three lines of black tesserae. (p.73)
Many of the rooms would have had a simple floor of cocciopesto, however, it should not be forgotten that certain rooms would have had floors and wall decorations of some merit and of these, now there is little visible trace. (p.59) 
The walls of the atrium would have been seen with a rich decoration of painted final IVth-style plaster. There would have been a high zoccolo (plinth/dado) composed of figurative panels on a white background, separated by yellow-ochre colour painted strips. The central area of the walls had a white background, subdivided into wide red and yellow panels, separated by a border. With regard to the plinth of the north wall, small square painted panels were documented. The decoration of the base of the south wall showed similar motifs to those on the opposite wall. A trace of a black dove was still visible on the top of the SE zoccollo. (p.73)
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.44,59,73) 

According to Breton, the paintings from the atrium walls were almost all gone, but on the base of the walls it was still possible to see vases, a red partridge, some lions chasing bulls, dogs chasing a wild boar and a dog watching sheep. Several rooms around the atrium were fairly well decorated.
See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.

Atrium 3, with remains of impluvium and mosaic floor.

According to Amoroso, the impluvium was not in line with the entrance doorway. (p.44)

Originally the floor would have been in cocciopesto, but when the house was redecorated the atrium was given a new mosaic floor.

The floor was composed of white tesserae with a border of two strips of three lines of black tesserae.

(p.73)

Many of the rooms would have had a simple floor of cocciopesto, however, it should not be forgotten that certain rooms would have had floors and wall decorations of some merit and of these, now there is little visible trace. (p.59)

The walls of the atrium would have been seen with a rich decoration of painted final IVth-style plaster.

There would have been a high zoccolo (plinth/dado) composed of figurative panels on a white background, separated by yellow-ochre colour painted strips.

The central area of the walls had a white background, subdivided into wide red and yellow panels, separated by a border.

With regard to the zoccolo/plinth of the north wall, small square painted panels were documented.

The decoration of the base of the south wall showed similar motifs to those on the opposite wall.

A trace of a black dove was still visible on the top of the south-east zoccollo. (p.73)

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.44,59,73)

 

According to Breton, the paintings from the atrium walls were almost all gone, but on the base of the walls it was still possible to see vases, a red partridge, some lions chasing bulls, dogs chasing a wild boar and a dog watching sheep.

Several rooms around the atrium were fairly well decorated.

See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 4, in north-west corner of atrium.
The doorway would have led into a room, described as a triclinium, originally with flooring of a reddish cocciopesto. The door threshold was formed by two square slabs of travertine and inserted in its south end was a small slab of grey marble. Seen on each of the smooth surface of the slabs, was a circular recess for the fixing of the double-door hinges. (p.54)
The floor was upgraded to a black and white mosaic. The walls were redecorated in the IVth style. The black zoccolo (dado/plinth) showed alternative narrow panels with rosettes, in the centre were plants motifs. The middle zone on each wall showed an edicula panel, painted white which contained a pinax, no longer visible. The side panels were painted red, edged by a simple bordered band.
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.54 and p.74) 

According to Bragantini, on the north-east side the mosaic was visible, whilst on the south-east side the cocciopesto was visible.
See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1986. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 3. Rome: ICCD. (p.179)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 4, in north-west corner of atrium.

The doorway would have led into a room, described as a triclinium, originally with flooring of a reddish cocciopesto.

The door threshold was formed by two square slabs of travertine and inserted in its south end was a small slab of grey marble.

Seen on each of the smooth surface of the slabs, was a circular recess for the fixing of the double-door hinges. (p.54)

The floor was then upgraded to a black and white mosaic.

The walls were redecorated in the IVth style.

The black zoccolo (dado/plinth) showed alternative narrow panels with rosettes, in the centre were plants motifs.

The middle zone on each wall showed an aedicula panel, painted white which contained a pinax, no longer visible.

The side panels were painted red, edged by a simple bordered band.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.54 and p.74)

 

According to Bragantini, the mosaic was visible on the north-east side, whilst on the south-east side the cocciopesto was visible.

See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1986. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 3. Rome: ICCD. (p.179)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 5, a cubiculum on north side of atrium.
This room had a floor of red cocciopesto. The door threshold formed of two rectangular travertine slabs, was also marked in the centre with a circular recess for the fixing of the double-door hinges.  When redecorated this room was repainted with red plaster walls, of which some traces remain. Its original flooring was kept. 
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.54 and p.74)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 5, a cubiculum on north side of atrium.

This room had a floor of red cocciopesto.

The door threshold formed of two rectangular travertine slabs, was also marked in the centre with a circular recess for the fixing of the double-door hinges.

When redecorated this room was repainted with red plaster walls, of which some traces remain. Its original flooring was kept.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.54 and p.74)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 6, a cubiculum on north side of atrium.
This room also had a floor of cocciopesto, joined in the doorway to the threshold which was formed by two rectangular travertine slabs, marked in the centre with a circular recess for the fixing of the double-door hinges.  When redecorated the walls were repainted with plaster panels edged with a red line, of which some traces remain.  The middle of the walls had vertical panels separated by architectural paintings, the central panels were yellow, the sides being red.  The zoccolo was painted with plant motifs on a red background.  The upper part of the walls was painted white. Its original flooring was kept.
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.54 and p.74)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 6, a cubiculum on north side of atrium.

This room also had a floor of cocciopesto, joined in the doorway to the threshold which was formed by two rectangular travertine slabs, marked in the centre with a circular recess for the fixing of the double-door hinges.

When redecorated the walls were repainted with plaster panels edged with a red line, of which some traces remain.

The middle of the walls had vertical panels separated by architectural paintings, the central panels were yellow, the sides being red.

The zoccolo was painted with plant motifs on a red background.

The upper part of the walls was painted white. Its original flooring was retained.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.54 and p.74)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 7, looking east across tablinum, from atrium.
According to Breton, the tablinum was completely open onto the atrium and at the rear onto the peristyle. The floor was mosaic. The wall painting on the right (south) wall was preserved. In the red side panels of the south wall were paintings of two women holding masks. In the centre on a white panel was a painting of Bacchus finding sleeping Ariadne on the isle of Naxos. The painting from the left (north wall) no longer existed.
See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.
See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (874,881)
According to Amoroso, on the south wall the central panel had a blue background and in the side red panels were paintings of the muses, Melpomene (on the east end) and Thalia (on the west end). When redecorated the tablinum received a new mosaic floor, with a motif in the centre separated by a double black line of mosaics. At the atrium end (west end), the tablinum floor was separated from the atrium floor by a mosaic of twining ivy plants and leaves enclosed by black lines on the white background.(see fig 35b, on p.107) (p.75) 
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.75, figs 16,1 and 16,2)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 7, looking east across tablinum, from atrium.

According to Breton, the tablinum was completely open onto the atrium and at the rear onto the peristyle.

The floor was mosaic. The wall painting on the right (south) wall was preserved.

In the red side panels of the south wall were paintings of two women holding masks.

In the centre on a white panel was a painting of Bacchus finding sleeping Ariadne on the isle of Naxos.

The painting from the left (north wall) no longer existed.

See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (874,881)

According to Amoroso, on the south wall the central panel had a blue background and in the side red panels were paintings of the muses, Melpomene (on the east end) and Thalia (on the west end).

When redecorated the tablinum received a new mosaic floor, with a motif in the centre separated by a double black line of mosaics.

At the atrium end (west end), the tablinum floor was separated from the atrium floor by a mosaic of twining ivy plants and leaves enclosed by black lines on the white background. (see fig 35b, on p.107) (p.75)

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei, by Angelo Amoroso, (p.75, figs 16,1 and 16,2)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. Old photo of 1880. Room 7, tablinum, centre of south wall. Wall painting of Dionysus finding Ariadne.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 111484.

VII.10.3 Pompeii. Old photo of 1880. Room 7, tablinum, centre of south wall.

Wall painting of Dionysus finding Ariadne.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 111484.

See Schefold, K., 1962. Vergessenes Pompeji. Bern: Francke. (p.142,166 and photo 167,2)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. South-east corner of atrium with doorway to corridor 8 next to tablinum, and doorways to rooms 9 and 10 on south side of atrium. According to Breton, on the right of the tablinum was a corridor leading to a kitchen where a big iron bucket attached to a wall and the pipe used to fill it up, could still be seen. On the right was a painting of a woman holding a wand. 
See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin. 
According to Boyce, the woman held a rudder.
See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.69, no.308)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.

South-east corner of atrium with doorway to corridor 8 next to tablinum, and doorways to rooms 9 and 10 on south side of atrium.

According to Breton, on the right of the tablinum was a corridor leading to a kitchen where a big iron bucket attached to a wall and the pipe used to fill it up, could still be seen.

On the right was a painting of a woman holding a wand.

See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

According to Boyce, the woman held a rudder.

See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.69, no.308)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.  Looking south through doorway of room 9 towards doorway of room 22, possibly a small storeroom, on right. Looking south across room 9, a triclinium which originally had a floor of cocciopesto. According to Amoroso, the walls of room 9 were recovered with painted plaster made of wide red and yellow sections, separated by white panels. The zoccolo was painted with plant motifs. 
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.74)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.

Looking south through doorway of room 9 towards doorway of room 22, possibly a small storeroom, on right.

Looking south across room 9, a triclinium which originally had a floor of cocciopesto.

According to Amoroso, the walls of room 9 were recovered with painted plaster made of wide red and yellow sections, separated by white panels.

The zoccolo was painted with plant motifs.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.74)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorways to rooms 10 and 11, cubiculi on south side of atrium. Both of these rooms also had flooring of red cocciopesto. The doorway, on the left, had a threshold formed by two rectangular limestone slabs, marked in the centre with a circular recess for the closing fixing for the double-set of doors. 
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.55)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorways to rooms 10 and 11, cubicula on south side of atrium.

Both of these rooms also had flooring of red cocciopesto.

The doorway, on the left, had a threshold formed by two rectangular limestone slabs, marked in the centre with a circular recess for the closing fixing for the double-set of doors.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.55)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 10, looking south. According to Amoroso, the top of the walls were painted with plaster in two horizontal bands. The middle section of each wall was separated into three vertical panels edged with a border. The central area was white, and the two sides panels were yellow. The zoccolo was red with plant motifs painted on it. Found painted on the walls of this room were vignettes showing sirens hovering in the air on monochrome green and yellow background. They held the plate and crook.
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.74) 
See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (899)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 10, looking south.

According to Amoroso, the tops of the walls were painted with plaster in two horizontal bands.

The middle section of each wall was separated into three vertical panels edged with a border. The central area was white, and the two sides panels were yellow.

The zoccolo was red with plant motifs painted on it.

Found painted on the walls of this room were vignettes showing sirens hovering in the air on monochrome green and yellow background.

They held the plate and crook.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l’Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.74)

See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (899)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 11, looking south. According to Amoroso, originally this room would have been connected to the rear room of VII.10.2 by a doorway in the south wall. This was then blocked off, bricked up and replastered.
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.74)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 11, looking south.

According to Amoroso, originally this room would have been connected to the rear room of VII.10.2 by a doorway in the south wall.

This was then blocked off, bricked up and re-plastered.

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l’Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.74)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 12, on west side of atrium.
According to Amoroso, this may have been a cubiculum, or even a small oecus. (p.58)
The floor of this room was formed of mosaic, with white tesserae and probably a border of black tesserae.(p.74) The threshold was made from a square, formed by black mosaic lines between which was embedded a black diamond shape on a white background. The walls were renovated with IVth style paintings, the dark zoccolo showed red divisions, in which were painted plants.  The middle zone of each wall showed red and yellow vertical panels. 
In the central panel was a painting of the attributes of a divinity, the side panels showed pinakes with landscape paintings. The top of the walls had a white stucco cornice, preserved only in the south-west corner. The attributes of Diana, now faded and lost, were shown in a painting on the north wall, and objects sacred to Dionysius were painted on the west wall. 
Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l”Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.58 and p.74). 
According to Helbig, this room contained paintings of two chariots. 
See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (246, 596)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Doorway to room 12, on west side of atrium.

According to Amoroso, this may have been a cubiculum, or even a small oecus. (p.58)

The floor of this room was formed of mosaic, with white tesserae and probably a border of black tesserae.

The threshold was made from a square, formed by black mosaic lines between which was embedded a black diamond shape on a white background.

The walls were renovated with Fourth style paintings, the dark zoccolo showed red divisions, in which were painted plants.
The middle zone of each wall showed red and yellow vertical panels.

In the central panel was a painting of the attributes of a divinity, the side panels showed pinakes with landscape paintings.

The top of the walls had a white stucco cornice, preserved only in the south-west corner.

The attributes of Diana, now faded and lost, were shown in a painting on the north wall, and objects sacred to Dionysius were painted on the west wall. (p.74)

Studi della Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, 22: l’Insula VII, 10 di Pompei , by Angelo Amoroso. (p.58 and p.74)

According to Helbig, this room contained paintings of two chariots.

See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (246, 596)

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.  Room 12. Mosaic floor and marble door supports in door threshold.

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005.

Room 12, mosaic floor and marble door supports in door threshold.

 

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 12, south-west corner. According to Fiorelli, seen on the walls in this small cubiculum, in addition to a scene with landscapes, were a painted chariot pulled by deer, and thyrsus in a chariot pulled by panthers.
See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.108)
Fiorelli Descrizione di Pompei, 1875, (p.273-276)

VII.10.3 Pompeii. December 2005. Room 12, south-west corner.

According to Fiorelli, seen on the walls in this small cubiculum, in addition to a scene with landscapes, were a painted chariot pulled by deer, and thyrsus in a chariot pulled by panthers.

See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.108)

Fiorelli Descrizione di Pompei, 1875, (p.273-276)

 

 

Part 2

 

Plan (opens in a separate window)