PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




VI.6.21 Pompeii. Panificio dei Christiani. Bakery of the Christians.

Bakery sales shop, linked with VI.6.20.

Linked to VI.6.17, VI.6.18 and VI.6.19. Excavated 1810, 1813, 1815.

 

VI.6.21 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking north towards pilaster on corner of Via delle Terme, and Via Consolare.

VI.6.21 Pompeii. May 2005.

Looking north towards pilaster on corner of Via delle Terme, and Via Consolare.

 

VI.6.21 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking north along east wall of shop towards doorway in north-east corner into VI.6.17. According to Stefani, this was a large corner sales shop for the bakery at its rear. On the west wall was a lararium painting with serpent, on the facing wall was a supposed “cross” in stucco. See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p.139).

VI.6.21 Pompeii. May 2005.

Looking north along east wall of shop towards doorway in north-east corner into VI.6.17.

According to Stefani, this was a large corner sales shop for the bakery at its rear.

On the west wall was a lararium painting with serpent, on the facing wall was a supposed “cross” in stucco.

See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p.139).

 

VI.6.20-21 Pompeii. 1824 drawing relief of a cross in stucco. See Mazois, F., 1824. Les Ruines de Pompei: Second Partie. Paris: Firmin Didot, p. 88. According to Stefani, this bakery was called “the bakery of the Christians” (Panificio dei Christiani) because of the relief of a cross in stucco, now vanished. This was found on the east wall of the shop, and was wrongly interpreted as a cross, the symbol of Christianity. See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p. 139). According to Della Corte, discovered in 1813 on the east wall in view of the road, was a panel of white stucco. On this panel in bas-relief was a Christian cross, although stylised, it was an object of veneration found opposite the pagan lararium. See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.115).

VI.6.20-21 Pompeii. 1824 drawing relief of a cross in stucco.

See Mazois, F., 1824. Les Ruines de Pompei: Second Partie. Paris: Firmin Didot, p. 88.

 

According to Stefani, this bakery was called “the bakery of the Christians” (Panificio dei Christiani) because of the relief of a cross in stucco, now vanished.

This was found on the east wall of the shop, and was wrongly interpreted as a cross, the symbol of Christianity.

See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p. 139).

 

According to Della Corte, discovered in 1813 on the east wall in view of the road, was a panel of white stucco.

On this panel in bas-relief was a Christian cross, although stylised, it was an object of veneration found opposite the pagan lararium.

See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.115).